Fused Dichroic Magnet Free Fuseworks Project Guide
- Free Fusing Project Guide
Fuseworks™ 2”x3” Sheet Glass - The Basics (Clear and Black)
Fuseworks™ Dichroic Bits & Pieces
Fuseworks™ Kiln Paper
Fuseworks™ Microwave Kiln
Fuseworks™ Glass Cutter
E6000® or other glass glue
All microwave and kiln combinations will have different firing patterns. Be sure to take careful notes and log all fusing times for future use.
A 1200 watt microwave was used for this piece. The fusing schedule a “suggested fusing schedule”.
1. Measure and mark the following glass sheets: Clear - 1” X 1 1/2”, Dichroic - 1” X 1 1/4”, Black - 1/2” X 3/4”
2. Using a glass cutter, cut glass to designated sizes as indicated above. Clean glass using paper towel moistened with water. Completely dry the surface of the glass with a lint free cloth.
3. Next, cut a 2” X 2” piece of kiln paper. Remove the lid from the Fuseworks™ Kiln. Place the kiln paper on the kiln base. Kiln paper should only be used for one firing.
4. Layer the glass on the kiln paper. Start with the base, 1” X 1 1/2” clear rectangle. Next, center the dichroic blue on the clear. Center the black on the dichroic blue.
5. Carefully set the base with glass inside the microwave. Cover base and glass with kiln lid.
6. Fuse at 70% power for 2 minutes, then 100% at 1 minute.
After time is up, open microwave and, using Hot Mitts, carefully lift the lid enough to inspect the fusing process. Add additional time in 15 second increments until desired results are achieved. Remove kiln from microwave using the Hot Mitts and place on a heat resistant surface. Cool the kiln on a heat resistant surface for at least 40 minutes with the lid on. Removing the lid or peeking under the lid during the cooling will result in your piece cracking. Glass remains hot for a long time and should be handled with great caution.
7. Cool your kiln completely.
8. After your piece has completely cooled, adhere a magnet to the back of the fused piece using a glass adhesive such as E6000®. Allow the adhesive to dry per glue manufacturer direction.