Fused Holiday Sparkle Bracelet Free Fuseworks Project Guide
- Free Fusing Project Guide
This project was fused using a 1000 Watt Microwave. All microwaves and kiln combinations will have slightly different firing patterns. Adjust firing time accordingly.
Fuseworks™ Dichroic Bits and Pieces
Fuseworks™ 2”x3” Sheet Glass – The Basics
Fuseworks™ Gun Metal Link Bracelet
Fuseworks™ Kiln paper
Studio Pro Glass Cutter
1. Measure and mark the following glass sheets: Black Sheet Glass – eleven 3/8” X 3/8”, Clear Dichroic – eleven 3/8” X 3/8”.
2. Wearing safety glasses, use a glass cutter to cut glass to designated sizes as indicated above. Clean glass using paper towel moistened with water. Completely dry the surface of the glass with a lint free cloth.
3. Next, cut three 2” X 2” piece of kiln paper. Remove the lid from the Fuseworks™ Kiln. Place the kiln paper on the kiln base.
4. Layer the glass on the kiln paper. Start with the base, 3/8” X 3/8” Black glass. Evenly space glass squares on the kiln paper, no more then 4 pieces per firing. Cover the Black glass with 3/8” X 3/8” Clear Dichroic glass.
HOT TIP: Try using a different base glass such as white, black or clear.
5. Carefully set the base with glass inside the microwave. Cover base and glass with kiln lid.
6. Fuse at 70% for 2 minutes. PLEASE NOTE: All microwave and kiln combinations will have different firing patterns. Be sure to take careful notes and log all fusing times for future use.
HOT TIP: *Dichroic Glass may darken or loose its color if over fired. To prevent this from occurring, reduce the power of microwaves exceeding 800 watts. For example, when fusing in a 1200 watt microwave, reduce power to 70% for the first firing of 2 minutes. After which, you can open the microwave, using Hot Mitts carefully lift the lid of the kiln enough to inspect the fusing process. By doing so, you will release some of the heat from the chamber, resulting in a reduction of the temperature inside the kiln. Return the lid to the base and continue with the second firing of 1 minute at 100% or full power.
7. After time is up, open microwave and using Hot Mitts, carefully lift the lid enough to inspect the fusing process. Add additional time in 15 second increments until desired results are achieved. Remove kiln from microwave using the Hot Mitts and place on a heat resistant surface. Cool the kiln on a heat resistant surface for at least 30 minutes with the lid on. Removing the lid or peeking under the lid during the cooling will result in your piece cracking. Glass remains hot for a long time and should be handled with great caution.
8. Repeat steps 4-7 until you have created 11 fused glass cabochons.
9. When cooled, adhere Dichroic cabochons to the disks of the Fuseworks™ Bracelet and allow to dry. Additional adornments such as charms and ribbons can be added to create a personalized bracelet sure to put sparkle into your holidays.