Fused Stacked Present Pin Free Fuseworks Project Guide
- Free Fusing Project Guide
The project was created with a 1000 Watt microwave. All microwave and kiln combinations will have different firing patterns. Be sure to take careful notes and log all fusing times for future use.
Fuseworks™ 1” Chips – Variety
Fuseworks™ 1” Chips – The Basics
Fuseworks Stringers - Thick
Fuseworks™ Kiln Paper
Fuseworks™ Microwave Kiln
Fuseworks™ Glass Cutter
E6000® or other glass glue
1. Select two each red, white and green 1” squares. Score and separate the following pieces from each color; two triangles 3/8” X 3/8” X 1/4” (for gift bow); one 1/8” X 1/8” square (center of bow), 1 – 7/8” & 1 – 1/4” white stringers (ribbons) and 1 – 5/8“ & 1 – 1/4” green stringers.
2. Using a glass cutter, cut glass to designated sizes as indicated above. Clean glass using paper towel moistened with water. Completely dry the surface of the glass with a lint free cloth.
3. Next, cut a 2” X 2” piece of kiln paper. Remove the lid from the Fuseworks™ Kiln. Place the kiln paper on the kiln base.
4. Cut two ½” sections of kiln paper and fold. These will be used as a support under the green and red glass squares during fusing. If you do not use supports the glass will sag during the heating process.
5. Start by placing the green square in the center of the kiln paper. Position the white square in the lower left side of the green square. Slide a piece of the folded ½” section of kiln paper under the white square for support. Add the red square to the lower right section of the green square opposite the white square. Slide a piece of the folded ½” section of kiln paper under the red square for support.
6. Next, place a 1/8” x 1/8” square in the upper center of each large square. This will be the center of the bow. On each side of the tiny square place a coordinating triangle. Finish the presents by placing stringer sections in a cross position on the white and red presents.
7. Carefully set the base with glass inside the microwave. Cover base and glass with kiln lid.
8. Fuse at 70% power for 2 minutes. After time is up, open microwave and using Hot Mitts, carefully lift the lid enough to inspect the fusing process. Add additional time in 30 second increments until desired results are achieved. Remove kiln from microwave using the Hot Mitts and place on a heat resistant surface. Cool the kiln on a heat resistant surface for at least 40 minutes with the lid on. Removing the lid or peeking under the lid during the cooling will result in your piece cracking. Glass remains hot for a long time and should be handled with great caution.
9. When cool, adhere a pin back to the reverse side of the fused glass presents using a glass adhesive such as E6000®. Allow to dry per glue manufacturer direction; before attaching it to your favorite hand-made or purchased card.