Free Forget Me Knot Mosaic Stepping Stone Project Guide
- Free Mosaic Project Guide
9” Heart Stepping Stone Mold
2 pkg Vintage Mosaics Red Toile or red-toned pottery or dishes
2 pkg Red Stained Glass Chips
1 Red Gem
Colorants – Brick Red
Mixing Bowl and Spoon
1. To protect work area, cover with newspaper.
2. Using a paper towel, apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly along the inner edges of the empty mold.
3. Mix Outdoor Cement following the directions on the label. Wear a dust mask while mixing.
4. Pour cement slowly and evenly into mold, gently tap sides of mold to release any air bubbles in cement.
5. Do not move mold while the cement is drying. Stone may take up to 24 to dry depending on climate.
6. Once it has dried, remove the stone by turning mold over and lifting up the edges of the mold.
7. Enlarge the pattern by 416%. Determine the center of the heart stepping stone and align with
the center of the pattern. Place carbon paper between the pattern and the surface of the stone and
trace the pattern onto the stepping stone.
8. Arrange Vintage Tile on the entire surface of the heart stone, leaving apprx. 1/8” gap between
pieces and at the outer edge. Nip or break tile pieces with a Tile Nipper to fit.
9. Lift each tile piece and apply a thin layer of glue to the back. Firmly press each tile piece onto
the stone to match the pattern. Allow glue to dry approximately 4 hour.
10. Adding 1 tablespoon of water at a time to 1 cup of grout, mix with craft stick until the grout reaches “fudge-like” consistency. If it is too watery, add dry grout in small amounts until the consistency is correct.
11. Wearing a disposable glove, spread the grout into all the nooks and crannies. Wait about 15
minutes for grout to set.
12. Begin to gently wipe away the excess grout using a paper towel taking care not to pull grout out of
tile spaces. It is very important to remove any grout from the tile surface before grout is completely dry.
13. Using the soft cloth, buff the tiles to a clean shine. Allow 24 hours for the mosaic piece to dry.
14. For the ribbon and bow, place a red gem in the center of the bow area (see diagram). Nip and
arrange the stained glass chips on top of the tile following the pattern.
15. Lift each glass piece and apply a thin layer of glue to the back. Firmly press each glass piece in
place matching the pattern. Allow glue to dry approximately 4 hour.
16. Grout ribbon following the Steps 10-13, using ¼ cup of grout and Colorants.