Flash Sale - 20% Off Sitewide - retail only Code: ARTCART
DESIGNED BY Jeanne Baruth
SKILL LEVEL: (Adult 1-5 1 being the easiest, 5 being difficult) 3
TIME TO COMPLETE: 2 hours You will get no chills from this cute trio of frosty snow people. Add a pin back, magnet or glue them to your holiday greetings for a little winter whimsy.
1. Wear safety glasses when using glass-crafting tools.
2. Always read and follow kiln safety rules and warnings.
• Fuseworks Kiln
• Fuseworks Kiln paper
• Fuseworks Clear Dichroic Glass
• Fuseworks Black Sheet Glass
• Fuseworks Millefiori
• Fuseworks Black Stringer
• Fuseworks Glass Cutter
• Fuseworks Hot Mitts
• Fuseworks Tile Nipper
• E6000 adhesive
1. Measure, mark and cut the following glass sheets: Clear Dichroic Sheet Glass – three 3/8” X 3/8”, three ½” X ½”, and three ¼” X ¼” Black Sheet Glass – one ¼” X ¼”, one ½” X ¼” Black stringer – one 3/8” Milliefiori – two cut in half
2. For glass cutting instructions, watch a free video at http://www.diamondtechcrafts.com/default.aspx?page=itemView&itemsysid=186709. Clean glass using paper towel moistened with water. Completely dry the surface of the glass with a lint-free cloth.
3. Next, cut three 2” X 2” piece of kiln paper. Remove the lid from the Fuseworks Kiln. Place the kiln paper on the kiln base.
4. Place the clear dichroic glass on the kiln paper. Evenly space glass squares on the kiln paper, no more than 6 pieces per firing.
5. Carefully set the base with glass inside the microwave and cover with kiln lid. Fuse in a 1200-watt microwave at 100% for 2 minutes. If using a microwave with a lower wattage increase the time by 1 minute. PLEASE NOTE: All microwave and kiln combinations will have different firing patterns. Be sure to take careful notes and log all fusing times for future use.
6. After time is up, open microwave and, using Hot Mitts, carefully lift the lid enough to inspect the fusing process. When the edges of the glass are nicely rounded, the glass is fused. Continue to add 15 to 30-second intervals until you reach the desired results.
7. Remove kiln from microwave using the Hot Mitts and place on a heat-resistant surface. Cool the kiln for at least 30 minutes WITH THE LID ON. Caution: Removing the lid or peeking under the lid during the cooling stage will result in your piece cracking. Glass remains hot for a long time, handle with great caution.
8. Continue this process until all clear dichroic squares are fused. 9. Let glass cool completely.
10.Place a piece of kiln paper on the kiln base. Position the snow people on the kiln paper using the diagram below as a guide. Cut enough 1/8” x 2” strips of kiln paper to create a frame around your project. Some may need to be cut into shorter lengths to make the frame fit snuggly. Place the strips around the glass pieces to hold them in place during fusing (Fig.1). Fig. 1 (blue = strips of kiln paper)
11. Carefully set the base with glass inside the microwave and cover with kiln lid. Fuse in a 1200-watt microwave at 50% for 1 minute; 80% at 1 minute and 30 seconds. PLEASE NOTE: All microwave and kiln combinations will have different firing patterns. Be sure to take careful notes and log all fusing times for future use.
12.Repeat step 5, 6 & 7 13.Cool your glass completely. There are many uses for the Snowy Trio: hang it as an ornament, glue it to a holiday card, use it on a gift tag, or make a cute pin. The possibilities are endless.