“Mood Swing” Door Hanger
DESIGNED BY: Lori Sells
SKILL LEVEL: (Adult 1-5 or Kids 1-5 1 being the easiest, 5 being of highest difficulty) Kids 5 Adult 1
TIME TO COMPLETE: Weekend
1. Mix grout in a disposable cup for easy clean up.
2. Use protective eye wear when nipping glass.
3. To avoid clogging, never dispose of grout directly down a drain.
1 Creative Shapes™ Wooden Door Hanger
4 Black Gems
1 pkg. Yellow Stained Glass Chips
1 pkg. Black Stained Glass Chips
1 pkg. Red Stained Glass Chips
1 pkg. White Stained Glass Chips
8 oz. Beige or White Sanded Grout
Paper Towels or Soft Cloth
Disposable or Plastic Bowl
Wheeled Glass Nippers
Lightly wipe Creative Shapes™ Wooden Door Hanger with a soft cloth or paper towel to remove surface dust or dirt.
1. Transfer design onto both sides of a Creative Shapes™ Wooden Door Hanger. To do so, tape carbon transfer paper and pattern to surface and trace over pattern with a pen.
2. Remove the pattern and carbon paper from both sides of door hanger.
3. Mosaic on one side of the door hanger at a time.
4. Create the eyes by gluing black gems in the area marked on pattern for eye placement.
5. Wearing safety glasses, nip two black glass chips into thirds, creating six rectangular shaped pieces. Arrange glass on the surface in area indicated for the mouth. Glue into place.
6. Gently nibble off the corners of a red glass chip. Continue nipping around chip until an even curved edge is formed. The trick to nipping is to take your time and nip little bits at a time. Sometime it is easier to nip a shape if you draw the pattern on the glass with a semi-permanent marker, then nip. When finished nipping, glue into place in the area indicated on pattern for the tongue.
7. Fill in face by randomly nipping yellow glass chips. Arrange the glass chips in face area, allow for 1/8” between pieces, making sure none of the glass pieces touch. Lift each glass piece and apply a thin layer of glue to back. Firmly press each piece onto wooden surface.
8. Fill the remaining area with white randomly nipped glass chips. 9. Allow glue to thoroughly dry before grouting.
1. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, make one cup of bone grout. Be creative, use a grout color to match your room décor.
2. Wearing latex glove, spread grout on to Creative Shapes™ Wooden Door Hanger surface onto the glass. Making sure that grout is pressed into all the nooks and crannies between the glass pieces. Wait about 15 minutes for grout to set.
3. Gently wipe away excess grout using a scrubby, taking care not to pull grout out of the spaces between the glass pieces. It is very important to remove any grout on tile surfaces before grout is completely dry.
4. Use a soft cloth to buff glass to a clean shine. Allow 24 hours for mosaic piece to dry thoroughly.
1. Repeat steps 2-3 for reverse side.