Birthday Celebration Pin
BY: Grace Santoro
SKILL LEVEL: 3 (1 being the easiest, 5 being most difficult)
TIME TO COMPLETE: 3 hours
• Wear safety glasses when glass-crafting.
• Always read and follow kiln safety rules and warnings.
• Use fusing glue to hold into place during fusing. Fusing glue recipe: 1 drop of white school glue to 3 drops of water.
• Fuseworks™ Microwave Kiln
• Fuseworks™ Kiln Paper
• 1 sheet/ea Fuseworks™ Opalescent Red and White Sheet Glass
• Fuseworks™ Yellow Frit
• Fuseworks™ Millefiori Assortment
• Fuseworks™ Stringers Assortment
• Fuseworks™ Glass Cutter
• Fuseworks™ Running Pliers
• Fusers Glue
• E-6000® or other glass glue Sport this adorable Birthday Celebration Pin and everyone will know you are special. Whether you are on a diet or not, this noncaloric treat makes a perfect gift.
1. Use scissors to cut out each pattern piece, staying on the inside of the pattern outline. Place pattern pieces on the following sheet glass. Using a permanent marker, trace around the pieces.
• 1 sheet Opalescent Red – cake plate
• 1 sheet Opalescent White – cake
• Assorted colors stringers – candles
• Yellow frit– flame
• Assorted millefiori no cutting necessary
2. Using a glass cutter, cut glass as indicated above. Should the glass have rough edges after cutting, remove them using a metal fingernail file or something similar. Clean glass using a paper towel moistened with water. Completely dry the surface of the glass with a lint-free cloth. Cut five stringers of various colors into 1/2” pieces to create candles.
3. Next, cut a 2” X 2” piece of kiln paper. Remove the lid from the Fuseworks™ Kiln. Place the kiln paper on the kiln base.
4. Place the red glass on the kiln base. Cut two pieces of kiln paper 2” x 1 1/2” and stack them adjacent to the red glass. These will act as supports for the stringers and the white glass.
5. Place the stringers opposite the red glass on the stacked kiln paper and top with the white glass. Place one piece of large yellow frit a top each stringer, using a tiny bit of Fusers Glue where the stringer meets the frit. Randomly place the Milliefiori on top of the white glass and glue using a tiny bit of Fuser’s Glue.
6. Carefully set the base with glass inside the microwave. Cover base and glass with kiln lid.
7. Fuse in a 1200-watt household microwave set at 50% power for 1 minute and 35 seconds; continue fusing at 100% for 30 seconds more. When using a lower wattage microwave, increase time to 2 minutes and 30 seconds. After time is up, open microwave using Hot Mitts, carefully lift the lid enough to inspect the fusing process. Add additional time in 30-second increments until desired results are achieved. PLEASE NOTE: All microwave and kiln combinations will have different firing patterns. Be sure to take careful notes and log all fusing times for future use.
8. Remove kiln from microwave using the Hot Mitts and place on a heat-resistant surface. Cool the kiln on a heat resistant surface for at least 40 minutes with the lid on. WARNING: Removing the lid or peeking under the lid during the cooling will result in your piece cracking. Glass remains hot for a long time and handled with great caution.
9. When cool, glue a pin back to the backside of the fused glass cake-n-plate using a glass adhesive such as E-6000®. Allow to dry according to glue manufacturer’s direction.