Metal Box Magnets
BY: Jeanne Baruth
SKILL LEVEL: 2 (1 being the easiest, 5 being most difficult)
TIME TO COMPLETE: 3 hours (Does not include drying or baking time)
• KraftyBlok Image Art Paper™
• Clear Glass Crafting Tile 1 7/8” x 1 7/8” – 1
• Clear Glass Crafting Tile 7/8” x 7/8” - 2
• White Acrylic Paint
• Paint Brush - small
• Adhesive Magnet Sheet
• Spray glue or other paper to metal adhesive
• Paper Towels
• Bowl for Water
• Laser Printer
• Altoid Box (or any other metal lidded box)
• White Spray Paint
• Scrapbook Paper, Coordinating Ribbon & Embellishments
• Read all of the KraftyBlok Image Art™ instructions before starting your project.
• This project requires the use of a laser printer, not an inkjet.
• For the most economical use of the KrafyBlok Image Art™, fill the entire page with images before printing.
• Reminder when using words on the underside of the glass tile flip the image to reverse the words, before printing. When you look through the tile the word(s) will be displayed correctly.
1. Choose 3 favorite images, scan them and resize one - 1 7/8” x 1 7/8” and two -7/8” x 7/8”. Use any software on your computer that allows you to manipulate and print images. 2. Set up your printer per the instructions on the KraftyBlok Image Art™ packaging.
3. Follow printers’ instructions and print transfer. Allow transfer to set 10 to 15 minutes to dry.
4. Place transfer in a bowl of water for approximately 30 seconds.
5. Slightly moisten the back of the tile, the textured side, with water. Remove transfer from the water and line up the transfer on the surface. Gently slide the transfer from the backing paper onto the surface. Use a finger to smooth the decal as you slide away the backing. Please note transfers are fragile and can tear, handle with care.
6. Gently pat and smooth the transfer with a moist paper towel, eliminating air pockets and wrinkles. Complete this process with all three images. Allow to dry overnight.
7. Once dry, permanently set the transfer by preheating a conventional oven to 345°F. Place the tile on a baking rack with the transfer facing up. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn off oven, prop door open slightly, and allow the oven the tile to cool for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
8. Paint the transfer with white acrylic paint and allow to dry.
9. Cut a magnet with scissors or paper cutter, to fit the back of the tile. Peel away backing and adhere magnet to the back of the tile.
10. Wash & Dry an Altoid™ box (or any other metal lidded box). Once dry, spray with a white paint formulated for metal and allow to dry.
11. Place the bottom of the box on holiday scrapbook paper of your choice. Trace around box with a pencil & cut out with scissors. Apply adhesive to the wrong side of the paper and press into the bottom of the box. Continue to decorate with holiday scrapbook embellishments or paints until you are pleased with your box. See image for design layout ideas.
12. Place the picture tile magnets inside the box and add a ribbon as shown in the photograph. This completes this cute all-in-one gift.