• Always, wear safety goggles when using glass-crafting tools. Everyday eyeglasses have only impact resistant lenses.
• To ensure top performance, always use water when cutting glass and oil when cutting metal.
• Always adjust the blade guide arm to ¼” above the material.
• Precision 2000 or Precision 2000 Deluxe Band Saw
• Glass Adhesive – E-6000®
• Black and Silver Sharpie®
• 2 Mason Jars
• 3” - Glass Candle Stick
• 2 - 12” Thin Leather Straps
• 4 Corks
Read and carefully follow the instructions contained within the Precision 2000 Operations Manual.
1. Set-up the Precision 2000 band saw for wet cuts. Follow the Operations Manual to install the diamond blade. Using the saw, cut and remove the top portion of the candle sticks. Clean the cut area with a glass cleaner and dry.
2. Apply glass adhesive to the cut area of the candle sticks and also to the center bottom of the mason jar. Place in an area where it will not be disturbed while drying. Check periodically to ensure the jar does not slip. If it slips, simply shift the jar back into place and allow continued drying for 24 - 72 hours.
3. Repeat step 2 for the second jar.
CAUTION: WOOD AND METAL BLADES HAVE TEETH AND WILL CUT FINGERS, SO BE CAREFUL WHEN CUTTING.
4. Set-up the Precision 2000 saw for dry cuts. Using the saw cut a wine cork in half by laying it flat on the band saw table for a vertical cut.
5. Using a hand drill, make a hole through each half of the cork. Thread the 12” length of leather strapping through the opening in the cork.
6. Repeat Step 5 for other half of the cork.
7. Tie the corks loosely around the base of each chalice.
8. Today’s wine corks are very decorative. We used one embossed with a cowboy to embellish the top of one of our chalices. For the second, measure and mark ¼” sections vertically on a cork. Use the saw and cut the sections. To create the flower use one disk for the center of the flower, then cut 4 disks in half and place them around the center to create flower pedals. Arrange them on the lid and glue in place.
These unique chalices can also be used as candle sticks simply remove the lids and insert votive’s to add a little whimsy to your dining room or kitchen table.