Make the most of your time at home. Our Kits are now 25% Off Retail Enter Coupon Code at check out. *EXCLUDES CLEARANCE ITEMS Code: HOMEKIT20R
Make the most of your time at home. Our Kits are now 10% Off Wholesale Enter Coupon Code at check out. *EXCLUDES CLEARANCE ITEMS Code: HOMEKIT20W
o FW849 Microwave Kiln
o FW865 Round-Top Bottle Stopper
o CP105 Glass Fusing Assortment
o FW845 Dry Wheel Glass Cutter
o 600LWFW Running Pliers
o E6000 Adhesive
o FW702 Safety Glasses
o FW846 Hot Mitts
First things first:
o Protect you working surface with newspaper for easy cleanup.
o You can never be too safe. Make sure to wear protective eye wear to protect your eyes from flying glass. Ouch!
o Make sure you have your hot mitts and a heat resistant surface to place hot microwave kiln on top of.
o We highly recommend you use a designated microwave solely for the microwave kiln.
Now let’s begin:
1. It is your time to be as creative as you like. You can either follow the image attached or create a design all your own.
2. Cut 1.25x1.25inch squares or 1.25inch circles out of the glass color of your choice. (Tip: if you are not using the glass from our glass fusing assortment, make sure your class is COE compatible).
3. Layer two pieces of squares or circles. Use the 3rd layer for decorations. Use frit, stringers, dichroic, or another glass shape. (Tip: use fusing glue to keep your decorative pieces in place).
4. Next, cut one 2” X 2” piece of kiln paper. Remove the lid from the Fuseworks Kiln. Place the kiln paper on the kiln base.
5. Carefully set the base with glass inside the microwave and cover with kiln lid. Fuse in a 1200-watt microwave at 100% for 2 minutes. If using a microwave with a lower wattage increase time by 1 minute. PLEASE NOTE: All microwave and kiln combinations will have different firing patterns. Be sure to take careful notes and log all fusing times for future use.
6. After time is up, open microwave and, using Hot Mitts, carefully lift the lid enough to inspect the fusing process. When the edges of the glass are nicely rounded, the glass is fused. If necessary, continue to add 15 (1200 – 1100 watt) to 30 (less than 1100 watt) second intervals until you reach the desired results.
7. Remove kiln from microwave using the Hot Mitts and place on a heat resistant surface. Cool the kiln for at least 30 to 40 minutes WITH THE LID ON. Caution: Removing the lid or peeking under the lid during the cooling stage will result in your piece cracking. Glass remains hot for a long time, handled with great caution.
8. Once cooled, simply glue the fused glass piece to the flat side of the bottle stopper with E6000. Allow the glue to dry following manufacture’s specifications.