Stuck on what to gift that special man in your life? These handmade fused glass cufflinks are the perfect gift for that dapper gentlemen. Perfect for Father’s Day, Birthdays, Anniversaries, or a Wedding gift. You can follow our color story and pattern, or you can get creative and make it your own. Maybe your man’s favorite sports team colors!
• 20mm Bezel Round Cufflink Blanks
• FW920 Clear Transparent 90 COE Fusible Glass Sheets
• FW835 Multi Color Stringer 90 COE
• FW849 Microwave Kiln
• FW847A Kiln Paper
• FW846 Fuseworks Hot Mitts 1 pair
• 654 Studio Pro Brass Glass Cutter
• 600 Studio Pro 1" Running Pliers
• 491J Wheeled Glass Nippers
• 601 3/8" Breaker / Grozer Pliers
• White School Glue
• Sharpie pen
• E6000 Clear Glue
- Always wear your heat resistant Mitts when handling the microwave kiln.
- Adult Supervision is required.
- Glass may be sharp – please use caution while handling.
- Wear your safety goggles and latex gloves when handling glass
1. Nip several - 1/16” pieces of stringers (color of your choice) to make tiny fused balls.
2. Next, cut a 2” X 2” piece of kiln paper. Remove the lid from the Fuseworks Kiln. Place the kiln paper on the kiln base and place on top the 1/16” pieces of stringers. Place lid on top and set microwave to 3 mins.
3. When done set a side to cool down for 30min.
4. In the meantime, draw two 19mm in diameter circle on two separate sheets of clear transparent 90 COE fusible glass with a sharpie pen. If your cufflink blank is smaller than 20mm, then draw a circle 1mm smaller than the blank you are using.
5. With your glass cutter, score the glass tracing the circle. Add additional score lines that radiate from the circle as shown in diagram 1 (download PDF). Break out the score lines with the running pliers.
6. Use Grozer pliers to remove sharp edges, and imperfections. Shape into a perfect circle.
7. Glue down the tiny fused balls on top of the transparent circle into any pattern you like.
8. Cut out another 2”x2” piece of kiln paper. Remove the lid from the Fuseworks Kiln. Place the kiln paper on the kiln base. Place on top the two designs. Make sure there is enough in between. Place lid on top and set microwave. Fuse for 2 minutes at 50% power followed by 1 minute 30 seconds at 70% power. PLEASE NOTE: All microwave and kiln combinations will have different firing patterns. Be sure to take careful notes and log all fusing times for future use.
9. After the initial heating, open microwave and, using Hot Mitts, carefully lift the lid enough to inspect the fusing process. Add additional time in 30 second increments until desired results are achieved.
10. Remove kiln from microwave using the Hot Mitts and place on a heat resistant surface. Cool the kiln for at least 30 minutes with the lid on. Removing the lid or peeking under the lid during the cooling will result in your piece cracking. Glass remains hot for a long time and should be handled with great caution.
11. After the project has cooled down, clean the back of the piece with running water.
12. Glue your finished piece down with glass adhesive such as E6000. Allow to dry per glue manufacturer’s directions.