Flash Sale - 20% Off Sitewide - retail only Code: ARTCART
BY: Rita Schwab
SKILL LEVEL: 1 (1 being the easiest, 5 being most difficult)
TIME TO COMPLETE: 1 hour
• For added interest, insert tiny beach toys, paper umbrellas or coins inside photo box.
• 1 KraftyBlok
• 2 ¼ cups of sand (we used play sand from the hardware store)
• 1 package of assorted shells (better yet, use those collected from your beach vacation)
• 1-ounce white glitter
• Mod Podge
• Foam Brush
• Small 2” x 2” White Foamcore
• Clear-drying adhesive suitable for glass
1. Completely read the directions before starting.
2. Cover your work area with newspaper to protect work surface.
3. Collect and place all supplies needed on your work surface.
4. Clean the KraftyBlok with glass cleaner or a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. Dry completely with cloth.
5. Place the KraftyBlok in a vertical position on newspaper and remove cap.
6. Place ¼ cup of sand in a small container and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of glitter into the sand to create “glittered sand.” Stir to mix.
7. Begin by using a foam brush and apply a coat of Mod Podge to the center channel on the bottom of the KraftyBlok. Using a disposable plastic spoon sprinkle glittered sand over the Mod Podge area. Continue this procedure until all sides of the KraftyBlok are covered with glittered sand. Allow to dry 20 minutes.
8. Lay the KraftyBlok flat on your work surface. Position shells on the surface of the block. We used a Sand Dollar and a Starfish; you may use any cluster of shells you choose. Once satisfied with the look, glue into place and allow to dry.
9. To create the shelled cap, take a small piece of foam core and cut to fit inside the cap. With scissors, nip a slit in the edge of the cap. This will make removing the cap easier. 10. Next, layer a shell assortment on top of foam core. You may need to cut additional small pieces of foam core for added support underneath shells. Glue into place and allow drying. Brush the area around the cap and between the shells with glue and sprinkle with glittered sand. Allow for drying.
11. When the Photobox is completely embellished and dry, create a funnel by curling a piece of paper and inserting it into the opening of the KraftyBlok. Pour approximately 2 cups of sand into the KraftyBlok. Move the funnel to the right and to the left while you pour to achieve a hill and valleys effect in the sand.
12. To insert a photo, cut to size, curl and insert it into the opening at the top of the KraftyBlok. Use your fingers or a pencil to maneuver photo into place. Drop addition shells if you like in and around the photo.
13. Return the shell embellished cap to the KraftyBlok and admire your handy work.