Flash Sale - 20% Off Sitewide - retail only Code: ARTCART
Cute as a Button
DESIGNED BY: Morgan Baruth
SKILL LEVEL: (Adult 1-5: 1 being the easiest, 5 being most difficult) 2
TIME TO COMPLETE: 2 hours
ROMANCE COPY: Find a sweet home for your wayward buttons in this “Cute as a Button” canister. Simple to create, it’s not only a cleaver button container; it doubles as a pin cushion! It’s a sweet gift for anyone.
→PROJECT TIP: Have fun!
KraftyBlok 4” x 8” Rectangle
Hot Glue Gun
DCWV, “The Stacks” Scrapbooking Paper
4 Small Wooden Spools
Ultra Fine Green Glitter
One - 3” x 3” & One - 1 ½” x 1 ½” Circle of cotton fabric
6 Cotton Balls – large
6 Assorted and 4 matching flat Buttons for embellishing
2 Pearl Sewing Pins
1 Sewing Needle, Threaded
1 Small Plastic or Cloth Measuring Tape
“A Thing of Beauty” stamps - Stampin’ Up! Staz On,
Black Permanent Ink - Stampin’ Up!
1” Circle Punch - Stampin’ Up!
Stampin’ Pastels – Stampin’ Up!
Note: To purchase Stampin’ Up! Products Contact [email protected] or your local dealer
1. Clean the KraftyBlok with glass cleaner and a lint-free cloth. Remove the plastic plug and sit it upright on your work surface so the opening is facing up.
2. Using “A Thing of Beauty” stamp pack, stamp the bonnet, boot, teacup, hat and hat box combo onto card stock. Use the Stampin’ pastels to add color to the images. Apply glue and sprinkle with glitter to areas you would like to highlight. Using scissors cut away the image from the cardstock leaving a 1/8” border around each image.
3. Cut the following: Button & Polk A Dot paper Two - 2 1/8” x 9 ¼” strips (side panel) Olive Green Solid Paper One - 3” x 3” square with a 2 inch circle cut out of the middle (top panel) One - 2 3/4“x 6 ¾” (back panel) Punch two - 1” circles (front embellishments)
4. Affix the large stamp cut-out 3” down from the top of the back paper panel with small mounting tabs. Hot glue a flat button to each corner of this panel. Apply a dot of hot glue to the face of each button and press paper panel against the back surface of the KraftyBlok. When finished, you should be able to see the stamped image through the front surface of the glass block.
5. For the side panels (button and polka dot paper), fold over one edge of the paper strip ½” and the opposite edge 2”. Place paper so that the 2” fold is at the bottom of the block and hot glue into position along one side of the KraftyBlok, making sure the paper is taunt as you glue into place. Repeat this process on the opposite side.
6. Hot glue the top panel with the 2” opening to the top of the KraftyBlok
7. Hot glue 4 wooden spools to the bottom of the block to create feet.
8. Next, hot glue the bonnet cut-out, a 1” green dot and safety pin into a cluster. Use E6000 to glue it in the upper left corner of the block front.
9. Hot glue the boot cut-out and 1” green dot together and affix them to the bottom right front using E6000.
10. Glue clusters of 3 or so buttons to the top right and bottom left of the block front using E6000.
11. To affix the measuring tape to the top of the block, start with a 5” tail. Hot glue tape at the 5” mark to the front left corner. Stretch tape across the top of the block to the opposite corner, create a miter fold and hot glue into place. Continue this process until you have reached your starting point. Tie a flat bow with the remainder of the measuring tape and secure in place with E6000 to the front left corner.
12. Using ink specially formulated for stamping on glass, stamp the words “A Thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever” to the front of the KraftyBlok 4” down from the top edge.
13. To create the Pin Cushion lid, place a 3” x 3” fabric square print side down on your work surface. Fill the center of the KraftyBlok lid with cotton balls or fiberfill. Place lid filling-side down on top of the fabric and pull the edges of the fabric around to the flat side of the lid, hot glue into place. To cover raw edges, glue a 1 ½” fabric circle to the bottom of the stopper. Insert stopper back into the opening at the top of the KraftyBlok and stick a few pins and needle into the cushion.
14. Fill with buttons!