- mosaic project guides
- 8 bit mosaic sweetheart coaster project guide
Created by Lauren Disanza for Diamond Tech
- 2 – 4” Square Metal Coaster Bases
- 1 package Diamond Tech Cobblestone Tiles - Lights
- 1 - 2 LB Container Jennifer’s Mosaics White Grout
- Latex or nitrile gloves
- Paper towels
- Newspaper or Kraft paper
- Disposable cup and spoon
- Smooth cloth
Project Tips: When laying out your design, it may be easier to see your design by leaving no space between the tiles, just be sure to make your template only 9 tiles wide and 9 tiles high and add spaces before you move onto the next step.
1. Cover the work area with newspaper or Kraft paper.
2. Using a pencil, trace around the coaster bases to create a template.
3. Sort desired colors into piles. To create the pink heart style, you will need 36 tiles for the outline of the heart and 18 pieces for the inner heart. To create the blue heart style, you will need 20 pieces for the outline of the heart and 29 pieces for the inner heart. Each coaster used 81 tiles in total.
4. Using the image as guide, lay out your tiles on each template spacing the tiles 1/16” from the edge and apart.
5. When you are satisfied with your placement, spread adhesive over one of the coaster bases. Place tiles, starting with two adjacent sides, this way you can ensure the tiles fit nicely width and height wise. Be sure to leave 1/16” space from the edge and between tiles. Continue filling the coaster until it is complete and repeat with the second coaster.
6. Allow mosaic to dry according to manufacturer’s instructions.
7. Mix 1/4 cup of white grout with enough water (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) to achieve the consistency of peanut butter.
8. With a gloved hand, smooth grout over tile, filling in the crevices. Remove as much excess grout as you can with your hand.
9. After 10 minutes, use a damp sponge or paper towels to remove grout haze. Allow to set overnight.
10. When dry, buff with a smooth cloth.